Guardianship, Parenting Rights, and Responsibilities
UNDERSTANDING WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A GUARDIAN IN ALBERTA
Depending on your circumstances, you may seek custody or guardianship.
You are already a guardian if:
- You gave birth to the child;
- You were married to the birth mother at the time when the child was born;
- You were in an adult interdependent relationship at the time the child was born;
- You lived with the birth mother for 12 months or more, and during which, the child was born;
- You demonstrated an intention to take responsibility as a guardian within a year of finding out about the pregnancy.
A guardian has the right to make significant decisions about the life of the child (if divorcing parents cannot decide who should make the significant decisions about the child, they may dispute the custody of the child). If you have issues regarding decision making, our lawyers at EBL Family Law will help. Call us today at 587-390-3070.